Table of Contents
Lymphatic massage is also known as manual lymphatic drainage massage. It is a form of gentle massage that helps move the fluids in your body. Some health conditions cause lymphatic fluids to develop in different body parts. Gentle massage help remove toxins and waste from the muscles and tissues.
In this blog, we will discuss massage types, why you need this massage, and how it benefits your body.
There are four common types of lymphatic massage performed by massage therapists and medical professionals. Types are as follows:
- Vodder. The Vodder technique of lymphatic massages uses sweeping movements around the body area that is being treated.
- Foldi. Foldi is an enhanced form of the Vodder technique. It allows the therapists to perform multiple hand movements on your body. It can be in a linear or circular motion to provide effective results.
- Casley-Smith. It is one of the most common and effective techniques used for lymphatic massage. It utilizes circular motions and uses the palm or side of the hands.
- Leduc. Leduc technique is used to gather all the fluid in one area before moving it for
All these techniques are not much different from each other. But its all in the hands of the therapist to perform them in their way. All the movements are made to stretch the skin in the direction of the lymph flow. Lymphatic massage techniques start from the limb and move outwards. And the whole massage procedure normally last from 20 to 45 minutes.
It is a specialized type of massage that is helpful for lymphedema conditions. The main aim here is to move fluids from the lymph area to reduce swelling and other symptoms. It is needed by people having different types of diseases that cause lymphedema.
Lymphatic drainage massages are commonly referred to individuals with lymphedema, which most of the time occurs after breast surgery. But a few conditions can also benefit from lymphatic drainage massage.
- Rheumatoid arthritis: It is an inflammatory disease that causes stiffness, swelling and joint pain.
- Chronic venous insufficiency: This condition happens when your leg veins become damaged or can’t function as they should. It causes difficulty in blood circulation back to the heart.
- Lipedema: Lipedema conditions cause excess fat storage in the legs and arms.
- Fibromyalgia: It is a long-lasting condition that causes pain and stiffness in different body muscles.
It is a type of medical massage that better be done by professionals like Meridian Spa or doctors. But it can still be learned by the experienced individual if you want to perform it at home. You may ask the doctor to guide you or provide you with effective tips to perform it in the right way. All the massage movements can be performed while sitting, standing, or lying down. Lymphatic massage can be performed for multiple areas of your body.
- Place the palm of your hand on the chest area.
- Gently apply the pressure and move your hand upwards to the collarbone.
- Continue this movement until the chest skin feels tight, and then relax.
- Perform this movement for 10-20 minutes.
- Rest your arm on a flat surface.
- Place your other hand on the shoulder of the resting arm.
- Massage your shoulder from the back towards the neck area.
- Start from the shoulder area and gradually come down to the upper arm.
- Move the hand downwards and massage it in the direction of the shoulder.
- Try to move the skin towards your torso.
- Start from the base of the finger.
- Use your index finger and thumb to massage the swollen area.
- Stretch the skin towards the palm of your hand.
- The purpose of this massage is to stretch the skin to ease the fluid flow.
- Try not to exert pressure on muscles which can cause pain for the person.
- Keep your body and limbs relaxed during the massage.
- Don’t get a massage on the swelling areas.
- Don’t get a massage on the cancer-treated area of your body.
- Drink adequate water to keep your body hydrated during the massage.
- Ensure that your skin is not stretched or hurt during the massage.
- Try to avoid lotions or products. Only use the natural touch of your hands.
Generally, lymphatic massage is beneficial for your body. But, yes, there are a few circumstances when it is better not to get the lymphatic massage treatment.
- A heart condition
- Kidney failure
- An infection
- Blood clotting
But if you still need to get a lymphatic massage, it is better to consult your healthcare professional for the right decision. The medical professional will assess your medical history and then recommend you the massage treatment accordingly.